Planning your own event

Event licensing

Entertainment and alcohol

Under the Licensing Act 2003 certain activities require a licence:

  • The sale of alcohol
  • Late night refreshments (the sale of hot food or drink including non-alcoholic drinks) between 23:00 and 05:00hrs.
  • Regulated entertainment – plays, films, live music, recorded music, performance of dance.

If your event involves activities that require a licence, and the premises is not already licensed, a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) or Premises Licence may be required.

Temporary Event Notice

Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is restricted to events where there will be no more than 499 people (including performers/staff) on the premises at any one time.

A TEN must be made to the Licensing Authority at least 10 working days in advance of the event. Find out more and apply on our TEN webpage.

Premises Licence

Events with a capacity of 500 persons or more may require a Premises Licence.

The premises licence application process takes a minimum of 28 days plus an additional 28 days to determine if there are objection. Find out more and apply on our Premises Licence webpage.

If you’re still not sure after checking the links, please email