Financial support

We are keen to support our residents as much as possible during these unprecedented and difficult times.

Council tenancy support

If you are a council tenant and your finances are affected by coronavirus, please contact us at the earliest opportunity so we can work with you. We will be as flexible as possible dealing with any issues resulting from coronavirus.

Tenants may be able to get support to meet their rent and Council Tax through claiming:

Renters in private or social accommodation do not need to worry about the threat of eviction after the Government announced that landlords will not be able to start eviction proceedings for at least a three-month period.

Homeowners are reminded that they can request up to a three-month mortgage payment holiday from your mortgage lender.

Landlords can also apply for a three-month payment holiday on Buy-To-Let mortgages, which will also ease the pressure on landlords and tenants.

Read more information about tenancy support.

Housing Benefit claims

Most people needing housing support are paid via Universal Credit now. This is not managed by us but by the Department for Work and Pensions.

However, some people in the district are still paid Housing Benefit and these claims continue to be managed by us.

We can still accept paper Housing Benefit forms. They can be posted to us via Royal Mail or posted directly through our letter box while the Civic Centre is closed. You can do it while out for your daily exercise session while still practising social distancing rules.

If we need any extra information to support the claim, we can receive that by post or by email at Please remember to include your email address and telephone number on the form as this will help us to process claims more quickly if we need to ask for more information.

We are here to help and find solutions to any problems to allow claims to progress as quickly as possible.

Any known changes to procedures will be updated promptly on our website and communication channels so keep checking, or sign up to get council e-news updates by email.

Test and trace support payment

In some circumstances, if you are required by law to self-isolate from the 28 of September you may be supported by a payment of £500, payable from Mansfield District Council. 

Visit the test and trace support payment page

Financial advice

Our Housing Department also has its own Financial Inclusion Officer who can advise and assist all Mansfield residents (not just council tenants) with claiming welfare, DWP and HMRC benefits. If you could benefit from this support, get in touch with Michelle Males on 07956 539743.