Universal Credit

Universal Credit is now being used in the Mansfield district and you may have to claim this instead of Housing Benefit for help with your rent.

You can still claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you are entitled to a Severe Disability Premium, or
  • you are the qualifying age to claim Pension Credit/your partner receives Pension Credit, or
  • you are living in supported or Local Authority temporary accommodation.

If the above do not apply to you, you need to claim Universal Credit to help with your rent. There is more information about this on the web site https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit (opens in a new window).

As part of an agreement with the Department for Work and Pensions, we will provide access to a computer with a member of staff to show you what to do at the Civic Centre located at Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield.

However, we do not have access to Universal Credit computer systems so enquiries about payments and other issues must be made to the Department for Work and Pensions.

Help with Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. The Department for Work and Pensions will no longer accept a claim for Council Tax Support at the same time as you claim Universal Credit.

You must apply for Council Tax Support through the council's Revenues and Benefits Service, and provide any evidence needed to support your claim. You may lose benefit if you don't send your Council Tax Support claim to us when you apply for Universal Credit.