Make a Housing Benefit claim

Housing Benefit can help towards the cost of your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of benefit you get depends on the level of your capital and income, together with your individual circumstances.

To apply for Housing Benefit:

  • the property you are applying for must be your main address
  • you must be liable to pay rent for the property
  • and meet one of the following criteria:
    • you are living in supported or Local Authority temporary accommodation
    • You, and your partner if you have one, have reached the qualifying age to claim Pension Credit or are entitled to Pension Credit.

If you are not eligible for Housing Benefit, you need to claim Universal Credit instead for help with your rent. There is more information about this on the apply for universal credit page (opens in a new window).

How to claim Housing Benefit

The claim form explains what you need to send us. If you don't have all the proof don't delay returning your form to us. You can send proof later.

Housing Benefit claim form

If you are a private tenant you must supply proof of the rent that you are charged by your landlord. We prefer a tenancy agreement but will accept a letter signed and dated by both of you and your landlord. This must also state the address of the property, the amount of rent, the start date of the tenancy and the date you moved in. The letter should state any other terms that you have agreed, such as the period of notice you have to give to end the tenancy and the notice which the landlord must give you.

If you are a council tenant you do not need to supply proof of the rent you are charged.