Search site

Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Further Information

Help with Council Tax

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will soon be the main working age benefit. It is being phased in gradually by the Department for Work and Pensions so that in 2016 it will be rolled out to all job centres throughout the country

It will combine a range of means tested financial support for working age adults into one benefit. Eventually most current means tested benefits and Tax Credits will be phased out. This will include Housing Benefit for working age customers.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Based Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

In some areas of the North West of England, Universal Credit has been available for some time but it has been phased into all Jobcentres from February 2015.

It will start in the Mansfield area from 5 October 2015. The Government will decide later when Universal Credit will be applied to all working age customers.


Further Information

The Department for Work and Pensions website has more information about Universal Credit.

The DWP helpline number is 0345 600 0723.

From 5 October if you are working age, single with no children and unemployed you will claim Universal Credit. This will be on-line at or by telephone 0345 600 0723.

Jobcentre staff should be able to advise you where you can access a computer. As part of an agreement with the Department for Work and Pensions, the Council will provide access to a computer with a member of staff to show you what to do at the Civic Centre located at Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield.

The Council does not have access to Universal Credit computer systems about payments so enquiries about payments and other issues must be made to the Department for Work and Pensions on 0345 600 0723.

Before you make a claim you must make sure that you have the following information available before you start:

  • your postcode
  • your National Insurance Number
  • details of your bank or building society account so that your Universal Credit can be paid into the account
  • your rent agreement or details of what's included in the rent
  • details of savings and capital
  • details of all income that's not from work
  • details of any other benefits you're already getting

You may need details on these things from people who live with you.


Help with Council Tax

Help with Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. The Department for Work and Pensions will no longer accept a claim for Council Tax Support at the same time as you claim Universal Credit.

You must apply for Council Tax Support through the council's Revenues and Benefits Service, and provide any evidence needed to support your claim. If you don't send your Council Tax Support claim to us when you apply for Universal Credit you may lose benefit.

Contact us Contact us

Powered by GOSS iCM