Council Tax support

Council Tax Reduction can help pay towards some or all of your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income, even if you own your own home and whether or not you work.

The maximum amount of Council Tax Reduction which can be awarded is 90% of your Council Tax bill. This means that everyone of working age now have to pay towards their Council Tax.

However, if you have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit, the maximum amount of Council Tax Reduction which can be awarded is based on 100% of your Council Tax bill. The actual amount received is based on your personal circumstances. Contact the Pension Service (opens in a new window) for further details regarding the qualifying age for Pension Credit.

Making a claim

If you make a claim for Universal Credit and you indicate that you want to claim Council Tax Reduction, this will be treated as an application for Council Tax Reduction (as long as you qualify for an award of Universal Credit). You do not need to complete a separate form.

If this does not apply to you, to claim Council Tax Reduction you will need to complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction scheme claim form.

Council Tax Reduction claim form

Alternatively, you can pick up a form from the Civic Centre or call us and we will post one to you.

Free school meals 

You may qualify for free school meals if your child attends a Nottinghamshire County Council School or your child attends a maintained nursery and you receive one of the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based and Contributions-based JSA and ESA on an equal basis
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit  
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after the person stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

To apply, you will need to register and provide:

  • your National Insurance Number or National Asylum Support Service Reference Number
  • your last name
  • your date of birth

You can apply for free school meals online (opens in new window) or by contacting Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80. 

For more information on the scheme, visit the county council website. (opens in new window)