Hackney Carriages (Taxis) and Private Hire Vehicles require a licence from us.
- You must have a Hackney Carriage Licence or Private Hire Vehicle Licence for each vehicle that you own.
- Each new vehicle is subject to passing a compliance check and a mechanical test before it can be considered for a licence.
- You should check the vehicle specifications before purchasing a vehicle.
- A licensed vehicle can only be driven by someone who holds a Taxi Driver Licence issued by us.
- All journeys in Private Hire Vehicles must be booked through a Private Hire Operator's Licence.
Apply for a Vehicle Licence
Firstly make an appointment with our Vehicle Testing Station on Hermitage Lane by calling 01623 463093, for the vehicle to have a compliance check.
Our application fees (opens in a new window) must be paid when you make your application.
We will need the following for verification before the mechanical test takes place:
- Compliance check sheet that states the vehicle has passed the compliance test
- Vehicle registration document or bill of sale.
- Valid insurance document.
- MOT certificate (if applicable)
The compliance check fee and the mechanical test fee are paid directly to the Vehicle Testing Station.
Types of vehicle
There are two types of vehicle:
- Have a top sign with the word TAXI - this is lit when they can be hired.
- Have a square white licence plate on the rear of the cab displaying the words Mansfield District Council in red and hackney carriage in black and a large black number.
- Can be hailed in the street.
- Can work from the town centre ranks.
- Do not need to be pre-booked.
- All have a fare meter and fare chart displayed inside the cab.
Private Hire Vehicles
- Cannot be legally referred to as a taxi.
- Have a long yellow licence plate on the rear of the car displaying the words Mansfield District Council and private hire vehicle and a large black number.
- Have the name of the private hire company displayed on the side of the car (all doors signs must have MDC approval).
- Cannot be hailed in the street. They must be pre-booked by telephone or in person at the company base.
- When booking always ask for an estimate of the fare, as not all private hire vehicles have meters.
We hold a public register containing details of vehicle licences, issued by us.
The register contains the following information:
- name of owner
- date and period for which the licence is granted, and
- licence number.
If you would like to see the register, please contact us.