Planning enforcement

We have the legal powers to enforce if works are carried out without planning permission or when planning conditions are not met, in order to put things right.

Here are some examples of breaches of planning:

  • Building works that have taken place without permission or built differently to the approved plans.
  • Where planning permission has been granted, which is subject to conditions and one or more of the conditions has not been complied with.
  • An unauthorised or inappropriate use of land or buildings.
  • Work (other than like for like repairs) to listed buildings without consent.
  • Work to protected trees and hedges without consent.
  • The display of certain adverts and signs without consent.

All complaints of breaches of planning will be investigated to assess what has happened, what harm has been caused and assess what action, if any, we may need to take.

The process and timescales we follow are detailed in our planning enforcement procedures (opens in a new window).

Not all building work or uses of land need planning permission because of their size, height etc. This is called permitted development (opens in a new window).

Report a planning breach

To report a planning breach complete the Report a breach form (opens in a new window) or contact us. Alternatively you can ask your ward councillor to take up your complaint on your behalf.

We accept anonymous complaints and in all cases your details are kept confidential.

Enforcement register and notices

An enforcement notice is just one of the ways we can control development that has been carried out without planning permission and is causing immediate and significant harm to amenity. A notice may:

  • stop or prevent an unauthorised change of use
  • request the removal of unauthorised building works, or
  • require a development to be altered in order to make it more acceptable in planning terms.

Notices can be viewed on our online planning applications system (opens in a new window).