Do I need planning permission?

Guidance and costs.

Small extensions or alterations to homes may not require planning permission.

To assess whether your proposal needs planning permission you can visit the Planning Portal's do I need planning permission webpage (opens in a new window). Alternatively you can complete and submit a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use using the planning portal. You can also download a form and the relevant guidance using the Planning Portal's form chooser (opens in a new window) and submit a paper version

Before you submit an application

While we will normally write to your neighbours about your planning application, we recommend that you talk to your neighbours prior to submitting any application. We would also encourage you to contact us for pre-application advice.

Guidance on extending your property

We have produced best practice guidance with regard to extending domestic property, this is summarised in our extension to dwellings guidance document (opens in a new window).

Council tenants

Council tenants need to be aware that as stated in the Tenancy Conditions, all council tenants must ask permission from their landlord for any alterations, whether or not they require or do not require planning or building control permission.  No alterations or work must be started until a letter is received from the Landlord giving written permission to carry out the work.

Building regulations approval

It is possible that you will need building regulations approval as well as planning permission. For more information go to our Erewash Borough Council’s website (opens in a new window) who now process applications on our behalf.