How could climate change affect the District?
In the most recent State of the UK Climate 2017 report, trends show that the UK climate is continuing to warm and that sea levels continue to rise. But what does that mean?
- We will be experiencing summers that are 2.5ºC warmer, with daily summer highs 3.3ºC warmer. This is about the same difference as you would expect to see between Glasgow and London on an average August day.
- Our winters will be milder with the average temperatures being 2.2°C warmer.
- There may be a 16% decrease in summer rainfall making our summers much drier.
- Winters will be wetter with an average of 14% more rainfall.
- Mean sea level around the UK has risen by about 16cm since the start of the 20th century.