Am I at risk from flooding?

To check the flood risk for your property (opens in new window), follow this link and type in your postcode

How do I sign up for flood warnings?

The UK's Flood Warning Service (opens in new window) is a free service provided by the Environment Agency to warn you about flooding and provide advice about what to do before, during, or after a flood. 

The floodline service uses gauges at strategic locations in main rivers to identify any rivers rising past specific thresholds. Early flood warnings allow you to take appropriate actions and prepare for the possibility of flooding.

There is a watercourse on my land. What are my responsibilities?

Find out your responsibilities if you have a watercourse on your land in this Nottinghamshire County Council leaflet (opens in new window).

How can I prepare for flooding?

It is impossible to remove all danger of flooding but you can take reasonable measures to reduce the damage caused to your property and minimise the effect it will have on you and your family, these include:

How can I protect my property from flooding?

If you’re a homeowner, it is your responsibility to protect your property from flooding. There are a range of practical actions that you can take to reduce the impact of flooding on your property, from adapting your home to installing flood defences.  

Sandbags are a short term and relatively cheap way to manage flooding but only if they are filled and placed correctly. However, they are relatively ineffective when compared to purpose-designed flood protection products. They are of no use if a property is already flooded. Instead, residents should concentrate their efforts on protecting family members and belongings.

Where can I get sandbags?

You can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores and builders merchants. You can also purchase filled sandbags and aqua sacs from selective suppliers. Read advice on the government website about using sandbags correctly (opens in new window).

If you are at imminent risk of being flooded, you can request sandbags through Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80, however they are not guaranteed.

If you are a council tenant, we may have a limited supply of sandbags that we can provide to vulnerable residents who are unable to provide their own. During an emergency flooding situation we try to distribute sandbags to people and properties most in need. Please call us on 01623 463463 and we will ask you some questions and assess the priority of your needs.

What insurance do I need?

Make sure you have home insurance in place to cover both your building (unless rented) and contents.  Tip on insurance for flooding can be found on the Association of British Insurers (ABI) website (opens in new window).

All insurance companies operate an emergency 24-hour telephone helpline, which you should call as soon as you can. Insurance companies should arrange builders and other repair work and help arrange emergency accommodation and other support. It is vital that you consult your insurance company before making repairs to your property. It will be very useful to them if you can take photographs of all parts of the building that are damaged.

Flood Re is a national scheme helping people who live in flood risk areas to get reasonably priced home insurance. It’s not an insurer itself, but works behind the scenes with individual insurers to make sure insurance is available and affordable, even for the most at-risk properties.

Council tenants do not need to insure or maintain their home against flood risk, as this is the council’s responsibility. However, it is advisable to have contents insurance to minimise the impact of flood damage to personal possessions. Tenants are obligated to report any issues associated with flooding or flood risk to their landlord or any estate or letting agent working on behalf of the landlord.

What are flood wardens?

The flood warden scheme is run by volunteers who operate in areas of the county that are liable to flooding. Flood wardens help by advising the Environment Agency, emergency services and local councils on conditions on the ground, prioritising any help that’s needed.

The role of a flood warden includes:

  • helping to prepare those within the local community at risk from flooding
  • monitoring water levels and reporting any unusual levels to the Environment Agency
  • alerting local residents of any flood warnings in place
  • providing on the ground updates to councils and the Environment Agency during a flood
  • setting up road closure signs (where communities are signed up to the County Council’s community flood signage scheme)

If you’re interested in becoming a flood warden, contact us by emailing emergencyplanning@mansfield.gov.uk

How do I report a flooded road?

Nottinghamshire County Council is the local highways authority. You can report a flooded road or drainage problem online (opens in new window). If you think lives are endangered then call 999.

What should I do during a flood?

If life is in danger during flooding you should dial 999. Here are some other things you can do to stay safe:

  • ensure family and pets are safe and away from flood water
  • act on your personal flood plan [PDF]
  • gather essentials and move valuable items above expected water levels
  • check on vulnerable neighbours or relatives
  • follow any instructions given by the emergency services - you may be asked to evacuate your property at short notice, so ensure you have an emergency kit of essential items ready
  • prepare your property with any flood protection measures and turn off water, gas and electricity before water enters your property
  • ensure important documents are safe, including your home insurance details
  • avoid driving or walking through flood water, there may be hidden dangers
  • move vehicles to higher ground

Why is flood water hazardous?

There are often hidden dangers like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution. Walking or even driving through floodwater is risky – six inches of fast flowing water can knock you over and two feet of water will float your car. Driving in floodwater significantly increases risk of drowning.
Although infection problems arising from floods in this country are rare, be sure to wash your hands if you have been in contact with flood water. Keep open cuts or sores clean and use waterproof plasters to prevent them being exposed to floodwater. Do not eat any food that has been in contact with flood water or sewage.
Always keep children away from flood water.
If you start to feel unwell after being in contact with flood water, contact your GP or call 111.
Where should I go if my home is unsafe?
Try to stay with friends and family until the risk is over.

Contact your insurer, as they might be able to arrange accommodation and contact us on 01623 463463 as we may be able to help with opening an emergency shelter.

I have no water/gas/electricity what should I do?

Your utilities may have been switched off for safety reasons. Do not switch on any utilities until you have checked with an expert that is safe to do so. You should contact a qualified electrician / gas engineer to check that it is safe to turn supplies back on. Don’t touch sources of electricity when you are stood in flood water. Once it has been checked by an engineer, turn on your central heating to aid drying. If supplies are not connected contact: 

  • Severn Trent Water by calling 0800 783 4444
  • gas emergency services by calling 0800 111 999
  • by calling 105 for electric

What should I do with bulky items and carpets destroyed by floods?

If you have any flood damaged domestic bulky items such as furniture or white goods, please check with your insurance company before disposing of them as it may affect your claim. You can take domestic items to local Recycling Centres (opens in new window).

If you have no means of transporting items to a household waste site, please contact us on 01623 463463

My food business has been affected by flooding; what should I do?

If your food business has been affected by flooding, there may be a serious and imminent risk to health. All food premises affected by flooding must Contact Us