Before we grant you a driver's licence we have to be sure that you are a 'fit and proper person'. Amongst other things you have to prove that you are trustworthy, not disqualified from driving and have no debilitating illnesses.
Applications take up to three months to process and you will not be allowed to drive hackney carriages or private hire vehicles during the application process.
Apply or renew a Taxi Driver's Licence
Our application fees (opens in a new window) must be paid when you make your application.
What you will need in order to apply for a Licence?
Once you have passed the knowledge test you will be in a position to submit a driver's licence application. You will need to produce the following documents:
- Completed application form.
- Two recent colour passport standard photographs that are a good likeness of the applicant.
- A DVLA driving photo-card (counterpart licence will not be accepted) or old style paper licences.
- A completed DVLA code.
- A completed DBS Disclosure with all the identification documents required as part of the DBS check (fee required). Documents that can be produced to support this application include:
- DVLA photo-card driving licence
- Birth certificate (if issued within a few days of the birth)
- Official Bank statement/document showing applicants address (internet printouts will not be accepted)
- Recently dated utilities bill, for example, rates, water rates (mobile phone contract letter will not be accepted).
- A Certificate of Good Conduct - for those applicants who have spent 6 months or more in a country other than the UK.
- Proof that the applicant is legally permitted to work in the UK.
- A Full Group II Medical Certificate or proof of exemption.
- The Safeguarding of Vulnerable People course certificate (cost included in application fee).
- The application fee (non-refundable).
Most of the above documents can be printed off from our website, with the exception of the DBS application form.
When all the required documents have been received and all the checks completed, the application with be determined.
A knowledge test must be passed before we can accept a full application.
The knowledge test consists of four parts on the following subjects:
- Our driver and vehicle licence conditions
- Verbal questions about routes between certain locations within the district
- Highway Code.
To pass the test, you are required to obtain a pass mark of at least 80% on each part of the test.
Please contact us to arrange a test date.
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy
Equality Act 2010
Under section 166 of the Equality Act 2010 drivers may be allowed an exemption if they have a medical condition, disability or physical condition which makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for them to provide assistance to passengers.
If a driver can produce a medical assessment at to why they cannot provide physical assistance then we will issue an exemption.
We hold a public register containing details of all private hire drivers' licences, issued by us.
The register contains the following information:
- name of the driver
- date and period for which the licence is issued
- licence number.
If you would like to see this register, please contact us.