Pollution prevention control

Operators of processes regulated under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 (opens in new window) must hold an environmental permit with conditions that the operator must follow.

These conditions are in place to control and limit emissions to air, water and land. Companies subject to these regulations must apply for a permit to operate.


There are three types of permits:

Part A1 permits

These are regulated by the Environment Agency and cover industries that are considered to be the most polluting - such as large scale power stations, chemical works and pharmaceutical production. A1 premises are regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations such as noise, vibrations, waste and energy usage.

Part A2 permits

This category is regulated by us and is seen as a medium risk to the environment and human health. A2 premises are also regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations.

Part B permits

These industries are regulated by us and are considered to be less polluting. Industries such as cement batching plants, coating material manufacture, animal feed manufacture and vehicle refinisher will fall into this category, and they are only regulated for emissions to air.

Apply for a permit

You will be required to pay a one-off fee for a new permit application. The amount is included in the application process.

There are three A1 processes within the district. There are currently no A2 processes in the district.