Council in stay safe plea as pubs prepare to reopen

Man and woman in a pub

Mansfield District Council is working closely with partners to keep the public safe from Covid-19 as the town prepares to welcome back visitors to pubs, restaurants, hair salons and other businesses.

In the latest phase of re-opening, as set by the government from Saturday (4 July), the council is urging people to ensure they plan ahead if they are intending to meet up with friends in the town centre or at other venues across the district.

Cllr Stuart Richardson, Portfolio Holder for Regeneration and Growth, said: “We know people have waited a long time to get a haircut or a pie and a pint but we're asking people to continue to be careful if they're planning to go into town.

"Our Licensing team has been working with pubs and other licensed venues to offer advice and guidance to ensure they are aware of the regulations, and helping with new pavement licences.

“People need to be aware that they cannot just turn up and get served. They must plan ahead and should check arrangements with a venue before heading out. Not all pubs and restaurants will be opening on Saturday so it's best to do some research first.

“We hope people will approach the further relaxation of the lockdown responsibly to maintain social distancing – and that means not overdoing it on how much they drink, and showing respect to town centre workers.

“Visitors to the district have so far taken on board advice for staying safe and we hope that continues as more businesses open up and we start to enjoy what our town centre and district have to offer during the day time and evening.”

Each business is responsible for ensuring their customers are safe, both inside and outside their premises, and that social distancing is maintained.

Queues for premises will be restricted to small numbers and many outlets are operating table service and contactless payment only, as well as a booking system with timed slots. Live music and other entertainment will not be allowed.

A maximum of two households can meet inside the premises and a maximum of six people from different households can meet outside. If it rains or turns cooler, customers cannot go inside to take shelter.

The police, the BID’s night time ambassadors and the street pastors will be out and about to help keep Mansfield's visitors safe from Saturday when the restrictions are relaxed.

The police are advising people to plan their visit by making reservations at venues, pre-booking taxis and being aware of public transport timetables.

Mansfield BID has also been working with non-licensed businesses to trade safely and in welcoming visitors to the town.

Social distancing measures, one way systems for pedestrians and hand sanitising stations are in place to promote public health safety.

Nikki Rolls, Chief Executive of the BID, said: "We are working tirelessly together to promote a positive and safe road to recovery in Mansfield and we are encouraging visitors to return with confidence.

"Supporting your local economy and town centre businesses is more important than ever to safeguard jobs and livelihoods and maintain a thriving centre."

The council’s partners at the Four Seasons shopping centre have also been working with retailers to ensure a safe shopping experience for visitors to Mansfield.

Council car parks remain free until September and will then be discounted until the end of the year.  Parking restrictions remain, however, and penalty charge notices will be issued if people do not abide by maximum stay limits, park in disabled bays without displaying a blue badge or park outside marked bays.

For more details about town centre services see the Covid-19 services update page (link opens in new window).

Published: July 2nd 2020