If you run a business which offers non-surgical treatments such as hair removal using class 3b/4 lasers or intense light systems, you must get a licence from us.
The use of lasers for surgical treatments and the treatment of a disease, disorder or injury carried out by a healthcare professional (for example a doctor, dentist or nurse) are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (opens in new window).
Apply for a licence
See the guidance notes for laser treatments for further information.
An application fee must be paid when you make your application. Both the premises and the practitioner need to be licensed.
You will need to provide the following:
- treatment protocol
- local rules
- risk assessment and register of authorised users
- completed practitioners registration form including photo and certificates
- a plan of the premises, and
- a copy of the public liability insurance.
We will confirm that we have received both your application and fee and arrange to carry out an inspection of your premises.
When considering your application we will look at:
- lines of responsibility
- your policies and procedures on the use and maintenance of the devices, including effective record keeping
- your level of training and knowledge about the use and impact of the equipment
- suitability of the working environment.
If granted, the licence will be subject to standard conditions.