About Internal Audit
Internal Audit reviews the council's financial and non-financial activities.
The Internal Audit team provides assurance on the effectiveness of the council's corporate governance, risk and internal control arrangements.
Roles and responsibilities
Our roles and responsibilities are to:
- Review and assess the soundness, adequacy, effectiveness and reliability of financial and performance management systems.
- Review and assess the effectiveness of internal controls and make recommendations to improve these where appropriate.
- Review and assess the adequacy of procedures to ensure the council's assets and interests are adequately protected, and risks are identified and effectively managed.
- Check for compliance with legislation, council policies and procedures.
- Promote and assist the council in the effective use of resources.
- Carry out independent investigations into allegations of fraud and irregularity in accordance with council policies and procedures and relevant legislation.