Drains and sewers

Help and advice on who is responsible for maintaining drains and sewers in Mansfield district.

Drains and sewers

A drain is a pipe serving one property. The owner of the property is responsible for maintaining the drains.

A sewer is a pipe serving more than one property. In Mansfield, Severn Trent Water is responsible for the maintenance of all sewers.

Landowners are responsible for the upkeep and repair of drains and sewers within their property boundary which they connect to. We can investigate the causes of defective drains, however the legal responsibility for the repair works does remain with the property/landowner.

We have powers to require works to be completed to repair defective drains/sewers.

Drains and sewers on public land, streets and highways

All public sewers are repaired and maintained by Severn Trent Water, and we cannot carry out work on them. They must be dealt with by Severn Trent, who can be contacted 24-hours on 0800 783 4444.

If you are unsure whether the problem is relating to a drain or sewer, please contact us as we hold a list of public sewers in the district.

If you need information about the position of public sewers, please contact Severn Trent Water (opens in new window).

We do not hold detailed records of all private drainage.

Drains and sewers on domestic and commercial premises

Landowners are responsible for the drains within their property boundaries, which their premises connect to. If a drain on a domestic or commercial property is shared with one or more other property ie more than one house, business etc. connects into the same drain, then Severn Trent may be responsible for the shared drain. If you are unsure of the layout and connections to your drains and sewers please contact us for advice.

Drains and sewers on council housing premises

Our Housing Repairs team is responsible for arranging to clear blockages and carrying out repairs on drains of council owned properties.