Report domestic violence and abuse

Domestic violence and abuse (DVA) is any intimidating behaviour, violence or abuse between adults who are or have been in a relationship, or between family members. The abuse can be physical, emotional, psychological, financial, sexual or a combination of these. Stalking, honour based violence, female genital mutilation (FGM) and forced marriage are also forms of DVA.

We are part of the Nottinghamshire County Partnership and work with the following:

Along with many other agencies to reduce the number of victims who suffer domestic violence and abuse, and help victims stay in their home after the perpetrator has left or been removed.

You can learn more about domestic abuse and how to recognise it by visiting national websites, including Women's Aid England (opens in new window) and Refuge (opens in new window), as well as, those of Nottinghamshire organisations including Juno Women's Aid (opens in new window), Nottinghamshire Women's Aid (opens in new window) and Equation (opens in new window).

Where can I get help?


If you are in immediate danger call 999.

If you can’t speak but the operator hears something suspicious, they’ll connect you to a police call handler. If you can make some noise, for example cough, whisper or tap the handset, the operator will connect you to the police.

If you can’t speak, and the operator can’t tell what service you need, they’ll transfer you to the Silent Solution system (opens in new window). This runs a 20 second automated message, and that will ask you to press 55, to be put through to the police. This does not allow the police to track your location.


For non-emergencies contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, there are many organisations in Nottinghamshire who can help and support you:

Where possible, services will support people experiencing domestic abuse to remain in their home where it is safe to do so, and the perpetrator should be the one to leave.

Hear people’s experiences of domestic abuse and how they have received support from organisations in Nottinghamshire on the Nottinghamshire County Council website (opens in new window)

More information for domestic abuse sufferers, during the coronavirus outbreak, is available on the Government website (opens in new window)