Who is eligible?
Some people may be disregarded for Council Tax purposes if they meet certain criteria. This means they may not be included when we decide how many people aged 18 or over live in your property.
These criteria are:
- full time students or student nurses
- youth trainees under 25
- 18 to 19 year olds who have child benefit paid for them
- unpaid carers
- employed carers
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- people in prison or detained by order of court
- people being looked after in care homes
- people living in certain hostels or night shelters
- members of religious communities, and
- members of visiting forces and certain international institution.
Apply for a discount
What if my circumstances change?
You must tell us if you no longer meet the criteria to qualify for a discount.
If you are moving house, you can complete a:
You will need to write in to us to advise of the changes. We cannot accept notification of the change via e mail or over the phone.