Housing repairs and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Mansfield District Council is being careful and planning ahead to make sure our services are resilient over the next four months. This means making decisions now about the types of repairs we can deliver.
To keep our staff and residents safe and to avoid the spread of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), from Monday 23 March 2020 we will only be carrying out essential repairs inside tenants' homes. These include:
- windows and door issues including locks and essential carpentry
- sanitary plumbing
- electrical work
- health and safety works
- fire safety works
- heating and hot water.
Non-urgent repairs like decorating, plastering, mould washing, bath panel replacement, adjusting doors or non-emergency surveys will be temporarily put on hold. Our normal service will resume once the risk has reduced and we will keep you updated of any developments.
Our customer service staff will ask everyone requesting a repair if anyone in their household is self-isolating. Repairs staff or our contractors will only attend a home where a tenant is self-isolating in an emergency, on a case by case basis, following advice from our public health team.
Due to the possible vulnerability and age of tenants in sheltered housing, we will be limiting the number of tradespeople coming into the sheltered schemes and only carrying out emergency repairs.
If you have any queries call 01623 463463 and press option 1. Out of hours and at weekends call 01623 463050.
How to report a repair?
Please continue to report repairs to your home in the usual manner (explained below).
In order for us to conduct a risk assessment to establish whether we are able to attend your home to undertake the repair, when you contact us, we will ask you to provide us with some information. We will ask for your consent to do this and we will only use the information you give us for the specific purposes described.
What information will we ask?
When you contact us, we’ll ask the following questions based on NHS/WHO and Government advice:
- Are you or is anyone in the household currently self-isolating?
- Have you or has anyone in the household been confirmed as having Covid-19?
- Have you been in contact with anyone who has been confirmed as having Covid-19?
Why do we need this information?
The reason this information is being collected is to help us to protect you, our employees and help control the spread of the virus.
If you are self-isolating or have been diagnosed with Covid-19, we will only be able to attend your home for emergency repairs. Emergency repairs are those which would have a direct impact on your health or safety if they were not rectified. Our officers or agents will wear appropriate personal protective equipment when they visit your home to help prevent any spread of the virus.
If you are self-isolating or have been diagnosed with Covid-19 and already have an appointment to have maintenance work carried out, please contact us. Please note that any appointments delayed through these safety measures will be followed up as soon as the situation changes
Further information on data protection
For further information as to how the council will process or store your data, please refer to our Privacy Notice webpage.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (opens in new window).
Before you report a repair, check to make sure that the repair is not your responsibility. Full details of which repairs are our responsibilities are contained within the repairs handbook
Request a repair
Contact us on 01623 463463 and select option 1.
For emergencies outside of office hours (5pm to 8.30am Monday to Thursday, 4.30pm to 8.30am Friday and during weekends) call 01623 463050.
When you contact us we will need to know:
- Your name, address and a contact telephone number.
- Details of the repair.
- Times that are convenient for us to carry out the repair.
- If you have registered a vulnerability with us.
Please let us know if you are hard of hearing, or may have difficulty in getting to the door when someone calls.
- Tell you if the repair is your responsibility or ours.
- Advise if an inspection is required.
- Arrange a convenient time for an inspector or operative to call if we are able. In some instances we may have to contact you at a later date to arrange access, for example when we have to order special parts. We can offer appointments for non urgent repairs for a morning or an afternoon depending on the nature of the repair.
- Provide you with the job number and the target time for the repair if you request this information.
- Advise you if the repair is rechargeable to you.