Problems paying your Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, take action before things get worse. You may be able to get help if you are having difficulty.

If you are experiencing difficulty in paying your Council Tax contact the Debt Recovery Team on 01623 463463 or email as soon as possible.

We have a statutory responsibility to collect Council Tax and failure to make payment in accordance with the instalments on your bill could result in the enforcement action. Please see the What happens if I don’t pay page.

You can also contact the local Citizens Advice Bureau (opens in a new window) at:

Mansfield CAB                    
16 Regent Street
NG18 1SS

Call: 0844 856 3411

Alternatively, you can use the free help and advice service provided by the National Debtline (opens in a new window) who can be contacted on 0808 808 4000.


Council Tax discounts and exemptions

See Council Tax discount or exemptions to find out if you're entitled.


Council Tax Reduction scheme

Check if you are eligible for the Council Tax Reduction scheme.

Help with rent and Council Tax payments isn't just for people who are unemployed, sick, disabled or elderly and on a low pension. Many people who are working are also eligible for a reduction.

Whether you qualify will depend on a number of things:

  • your household income
  • the number of people in your family, and
  • any savings you may have (the first £6,000 is ignored).

Full information is available on our benefit pages.

Information about other benefits administered through the Department for Work and Pensions and money advice can be found at in a new window) under money, tax and benefits. There is also a special website for Pension Credit and Working Tax Credit,


When you receive a demand notice (bill) at the start of the financial year you will be given 10 or 12 (upon request) monthly instalments. If your bill is issued during the year the number of instalments will be reduced.

If payment is not made within seven days of the instalment date, we can start recovery proceedings.