Planning Applications Committee votes to make decisions on major and more sensitive planning permission applications we receive for the district.
Very broadly, applications are considered by Planning Applications Committee if:
- the application is referred by a district councillor
- the proposal is of large scale, or
- the proposal conflicts with planning policy but there are other planning reasons to support.
Otherwise, the decision is likely to be made by the officers under delegated powers and there is no right to speak on these matters. See how planning applications are dealt with for more details.
Members of the public, agents and applicants are able to speak at committee meetings. See our asking questions at council meetings page for details.
Planning Applications Committee meets approximately every four weeks. See meetings, agendas and minutes for more information.
Members of Planning Applications Committee
Councillor Lohan was elected Chair of the Committee for 2019/20 at the Annual Council on 21 May 2019.
Members of this committee include:
- Councillor L. Anderson – Conservative
- Councillor B. Answer – MIF
- Councillor T. Clay - Labour
- Councillor B. Drewett – MIF
- Councillor T. Hanstock - MIF
- Councillor V. Hopewell – MIF
- Councillor S. Swinscoe – Labour
- Councillor A. Wetton – Labour
- Councillor C. Whitby - Labour
- Councillor M. Wright - MIF.
Speaking at Planning Applications Committee meetings
The purpose of public speaking at Planning Applications Committee is to enable people to make their views directly on development proposals other than just by letter.
For helpful advice on how the procedures operate, view our Public speaking procedures at meetings of the Planning Applications Committee leaflet leaflet. All matters of procedure during the meeting will be at the discretion of the Chairman of the Planning Applications Committee.
If you wish to speak at the committee, please fill out this Speaking at a Planning Applications Committee form.