A collection can only take place in a street or public place including any:
- highway and public bridge
- alley, or
Please be aware that house to house collections (including pub to pub) are regulated separately.
Apply for a licence
There is no fee for this application.
Contact us to book the date for the collection. In order to process your application in time, please submit your application and send us:
- information about the charity or organisation
- a letter of authority
- copy of any contracts between you and them.
If a permit is granted, a Form of Statement (opens in a new window) must be returned to us within a month of the collection date. If you do not submit a form of statement, you may not be able to carry out any future collections.
Our policy for issuing permits is:
- only charitable organisations be granted street collections permits.
- each charity will only be allowed one collection date per year (unless the proceeds of the collection are donated to a number of different charities).
- only one charity will be able to collect on any one day, in any one area.
- charitable collections will only take place on a Saturday (unless it is for a large scale or nationally recognised event whereby the collection can be authorised to take place on a different day of the week).
We restrict the number of collections taking place to prevent charity collections clashing. Please view the regulations (opens in a new window) on this kind of permit.