A collection can only take place in a street or public place including any:
- highway and public bridge
- alley, or
Please be aware that house to house collections (including pub to pub) are regulated separately.
Our policy for issuing permits is:
- only charitable organisations be granted street collections permits.
- each charity will only be allowed one collection date per year (unless the proceeds of the collection are donated to a number of different charities).
- only one charity will be able to collect on any one day, in any one area.
- charitable collections will only take place on a Saturday (unless it is for a large scale or nationally recognised event whereby the collection can be authorised to take place on a different day of the week).
We restrict the number of collections taking place to prevent charity collections clashing. Please view the regulations (opens in a new window) on this kind of permit.
Apply for a permit
There is no fee for this application.
Contact us to book the date for the collection. In order to process your application for a street collection (oepns in a new window) in time, please send us your application and:
- information about the charity or organisation
- a letter of authority
- copy of any contracts between you and them.
If a permit is granted, a form of statement (opens in a new window) must be returned to us within a month of the collection date. If you do not submit a form of statement, you may not be able to carry out any future collections.