Building insurance

All commercial properties rented from us must have valid buildings insurance cover to ensure that repair or rebuild of the property is guaranteed in the event of damage to the building.

The majority of our commercial leasehold agreements state that buildings insurance cover must be provided by us and paid for by the tenant. There are a very few leases that state otherwise. If you wish to check your lease, please either telephone us on 01623 463728, email Property Services at, or write to us at:

Property services
Civic Centre
Chesterfield Road South
NG19 7BH
United Kingdom

Insurance payments

Tenants will be sent an annual invoice in June, which can either be paid in whole or by instalment if agreed with us.

The policy is renewed annually on 1 April and you do not have to do anything. The premium charge is provided by the insurers and includes insurance premium tax.

The amount that a commercial property is insured for is based on rebuild costs rather that market value. It can be reviewed if you feel it does not currently reflect a realistic figure.

What our insurance covers

The insurance covers damage to the building caused by:

  • fire
  • lightning
  • aircraft
  • riot
  • civil commotion
  • strikers, locked out workers or persons taking part in labour disturbances
  • malicious persons
  • storm
  • flood
  • escape of water from any tank, apparatus or pipe, and
  • impact.

The building insurance policy does not cover the loss of, or damage to, the contents of a commercial property.

It is the responsibility of leaseholder to arrange their own contents insurance cover.

Making a claim

You can make a claim on your buildings insurance by contacting us and asking for commercial property claims.

Please ensure you quote the policy number 45005370. There is an excess of £500 for claims.

The details are:

Phone: 01623 463242


Policy holder: Mansfield District Council

Policy number: 45005370