What is benefit fraud?
If a person claims any benefits they are not entitled to, they are committing fraud and may be taken to court.
The types of fraud relating to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction include the following:
- Undeclared income - not providing details of all income
- Undeclared capital – not providing details of all capital (ie savings and investments)
- Living together - claim benefit as a single person when living with a partner
- Non-dependants and lodgers – not providing details of other people who live at their address
- Non-residence - claim benefit from an address where they do not live.