Dangerous and Wild Animal Licence

If you wish to keep an animal which is classed as dangerous under the Dangerous and Wild Animal Act 1976 (Modification) (No.2) Order 2007 (opens in a new window) you must get a licence from us. This requirement does not apply to zoos, circuses or pet shops.

Apply for a licence

Application to keep Dangerous and Wild Animals

An application fee must be paid when you make your application.

We will confirm that we have received both your application and fee in writing and arrange to carry out an inspection, with a veterinary surgeon or approved practitioner. They will submit a report on whether the cages, food and other living conditions are suitable. You will be required to pay the cost of this inspection.

You will need to provide a copy of a current public liability insurance policy.

When processing your application we will consider the following:

  • the safety of the general public and any nuisance that the grant of a licence may cause
  • that the animal will be kept in suitable accommodation from which it cannot escape
  • we review the construction, size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, drainage and cleanliness for the number of animals to be housed in it
  • suitable food, drink and bedding will be provided and that the animal is exercised and visited regularly
  • that steps are in place to protect the animal in case of fire or other emergency
  • that steps are taken to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

Licence expiry

Licences expire two years after the initial grant date