Animal Boarding Licence

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 (opens in new window) covers pet shops, animal boarding establishments, riding establishments, dog breeding and performing animals.

For specific requirements, please see the below links for regulations, guidance and application form.


Boarding Dogs guidance (opens in new window)

Home Boarders (opens in new window)

Dog day care (opens in new window)

Boarding Cats (opens in new window)


You need a licence from us if your business provides accommodation for other people’s cats and/or dogs. The licence will show the duration of the licence, the number of animals that can be accommodated and the star rating for the services.

New businesses may score a lower star rating as there is no compliance history. This does not mean that standards are poorer.