Search site

Noise nuisance

Noisy neighbours

House alarms

Barking dogs

Noise from industrial/commercial premises

How to make a complaint

We can investigate complaints of noise from various sources including loud music, barking dogs, DIY, burglar alarms and noise from pubs, clubs, industrial and commercial premises.

Noisy neighbours

Noise from neighbours is a common source of nuisance. The main complaints are about:

  • barking dogs
  • loud music or television
  • shouting
  • banging doors
  • intruder alarms, and
  • do-it-yourself activities.

We can all expect, or make, some level of neighbour noise as no house or flat is totally soundproof. However, if this noise amounts to a nuisance there is action we can take to address it.

If you are being disturbed by noise from a neighbour, if possible approach them and explain that you are being troubled by their noise.

If this fails, please contact us to discuss your problem. You will be asked to complete a diary sheet for approximately two weeks, giving times and dates and asking for a description of the noise and how it is affecting you.

Please see our pdf icon noise leaflet [156kb] for further information.

House alarms

False alarms and faulty systems are the most common causes of burglar alarm noise. If a fault develops while you are on holiday, alarms can sometimes sound for days. This can cause a serious noise nuisance to your neighbours.

If your alarm rings and is considered to be a statutory nuisance by an officer from Environmental Health, we will serve a Noise Abatement Notice on you and may have to enter into your premises to disconnect the alarm. A warrant will be obtained from the Magistrates' Court to enter the premises to deactivate the alarm. Any costs incurred to silence the alarm will be charged to you.

To avoid any problems or potential complaints about a ringing burglar alarm you should:

  • Fit an automatic cut-out device to stop the alarm ringing after 20 minutes.
  • Give a key and the alarm code to a neighbour, so that someone can disable and reset the alarm if there's a problem (especially if you are often away from home or go on holiday).
  • To avoid false alarms, have the alarm regularly checked so any faults can be fixed.

Barking dogs

For information and advice about barking dogs see animal nuisance.

Noise from industrial/commercial premises

Sometimes we can be disturbed by excessive noise coming from industrial or commercial premises. Examples are:

  • machinery noise
  • fan noises
  • vehicle movements
  • alarms, and
  • radios.

If you are disturbed by such noise and you are able to identify the source, try visiting the premises and speaking to the site manager. If the noise continues and the owner/s appear unwilling to respond, please contact us to make a complaint.

How to make a complaint

If you would like to make a complaint, please contact us.

Enquiries and complaints sent by email will usually be responded to within five working days or sooner.

The process of investigating a complaint alleging a statutory nuisance, through to resolving the complaint, may take from a few days to several weeks. In cases where legal action has to be taken, investigations can sometimes take up to six months.

We are unable to deal with anonymous reports and complaints alleging statutory nuisances.

Page last updated: 6 May 2015

Related pages

Contact us Contact us

Powered by GOSS iCM