Elected Mayor of Mansfield Andy Abrahams has announced the first good causes to benefit from his 500 fund after an overwhelming number of applications.
So far, £3,800 has been allocated after the Mayor pledged to donate 30 per cent of his annual allowance.
Among the first recipients are the Royal Hussars Marching Band and Mansfield Community Choir. The recipients will receive their funding at a presentation at the Civic Centre on Thursday 29 August.
The Mayor said: "I'm passionate about our local community and want to give something back to Mansfield each year.
"We were overwhelmed by applications this time and will consider some of the unsuccessful bids for the next funding round because many of them did meet the required criteria.
"I hope that by making these donations from my allowance, it will encourage other organisations to make financial contributions to groups and initiatives in their neighbourhoods for the benefit of everyone."
- Meden Vale Colts Youth FC £500 towards youth football goals for the newly-formed club.
- The Royal Hussars Marching Band £500 for new uniforms for upcoming championships.
- Lighthouse Mansfield £500 towards workshops for children attending the summer holiday club.
- School's Out for Summer £500 towards food and school uniforms for families from deprived areas.
- Personal Best Academy £500 for members of martial arts club to take part in competitions.
- East Midlands Vocational Academy £500 towards a breakfast club for young people in alternative education.
- Destiny Cheer - £500 towards a new spring floor when they find bigger premises to rent.
- Mansfield Community Choir £300 that they requested towards new music.
Applications to the Mayor's 500 Fund can be made three times a year. The fund is administered by a council finance officer and applications are approved by a panel of officers and the Mayor.
Groups, associations and individuals can apply for up to £500 to support projects in their area.
The funding can be used for revenue and capital but it must bring direct benefit to the community.
The grant can be used for things such as running costs and technology, materials and events.
For more information see www.mansfield.gov.uk/mayors500fund.