A walk-through testing site for COVID-19 is due to start operating at the car park of Mansfield Civic Centre from Saturday 14 November.
The Civic Centre off Chesterfield Road South has been selected for a Local Testing Site (LTS) by local public health leaders because it is well known, easy to find, and is a fairly large, level space. It has also been used for the mobile testing unit programme during the past six months.
The LTS will be open seven days a week from 8am to 8pm. Public parking at the Civic Centre may be limited during this time.
The site will be run by the Department for Health and Social Care but tests at the site will be self-administered by those who request them. Parents will carry out tests on their children if they cannot manage to do their own.
Executive Mayor Andy Abrahams said: "The council is keen to do everything it can to facilitate efforts to tackle this second wave of the virus.
"We hope this accessible, close-to-home facility will help to bring down infection transmission rates in Mansfield. Anyone with coronavirus symptoms will be able to get a test and we encourage people to be tested, however mild their symptoms may be.
"It is anticipated that the LTS may create some traffic around the Civic Centre and it may mean there is a lack of public parking at the Civic Centre which could affect people collecting children from local schools or visiting the nearby surgery or pharmacy.
"We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause but we're confident the public and local businesses will work with us on this as it's obviously important we help to reduce the number of virus cases in the district so we can all get back to normal sooner rather than later."
To use the site, people should:
- Have at least one symptom of COVID-19 - a new, continuous cough, a high temperature or loss or change to their sense of smell or taste.
- Book a test first before going to the site by visiting the government website (link opens in new window) or calling 119.
- Walk to the site and if driving, park up nearby and then walk to the site.
- Avoid taking public transport to get to the site or return home.
- Stay out of any shops or other premises prior to their test and return home immediately afterwards.
- Wear a face mask.
- Adhere to social distancing.
- Take a form of identification.
Mansfield District Council will be working with partners to ensure that the site is managed and signposted to help direct users. Residents and businesses around the Civic Centre have been informed about the likely local impact of the LTS.
Anyone with any issues regarding the site can contact the council on 01623 463463 or email the council (link to email app opens in new window). For out of hours emergencies call 01623 463050.