Council Tax bands and valuation
Council Tax is based on the market or sale value of a property and is allocated a charging band by the Valuation Office Agency (opens in a new window). This agency is responsible for maintaining the valuation list containing all Council Tax bands for a district or borough council area.
Properties are allocated within one of eight bands, which are:
- Band A - Up to £40,000
- Band B - £40,001 to £52,000
- Band C - £52,001 to £68,000
- Band D - £68,001 to £88,000
- Band E - £88,001 to £120,000
- Band F - £120,001 to £160,000
- Band G - £160,001 to £320,000
- Band H - £320,000
The Government has no plans to revalue properties for now.
If you feel your property is in the wrong Council Tax band, you can appeal to the Valuation Office Agency (opens in a new window).