Test and Trace Support Payment

From 28 September 2020, if you are on a low income, and are asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, you may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 from the Government's Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme.

From 8 March 2021 this scheme has been extended to include parents and guardians of children/young people who are not legally required to self-isolate themselves but they need to take time off work to care for a child or young person who has been told to self-isolate.

The need to stay at home if told to do so is now a legal requirement and those who fail to do so could face fines of at least £1,000. For the most serious breaches of the rules, including preventing others from self-isolating, for example business owners threatening self-isolating staff with redundancy, the fines could be as high as £10,000.

People self-isolating could be contacted by NHS Test and Trace to ensure they are staying at home and any suspicions of non-compliance could be referred to local authorities and police to investigate further.

Information about the scheme

Please note if you are unable to work due to national lockdown restrictions you will not be eligible for a test and trace support payment.

Who can get the Test and Trace Support Payment?

To get the Test and Trace Support Payment, you must:

  • have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or via the NHS COVID-19 App, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested or;
  • from 08/03/21 be the parent or guardian, who lives in the same household as, and also needs to take time off work to care for, a child (aged 15 or under) or young person (aged 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan) who normally attends an education or childcare setting, where the child or young person has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by their education or childcare setting; and   
  • be employed or self-employed;
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result; and
  • currently receiving, or are the partner of someone in the same household who is receiving, Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

Who makes the payment and how much is it?

Mansfield District Council will issue the £500 payment to those who apply and are entitled to it.

Will this payment be taxed?

This payment will be subject to income tax. It will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 30 June 2021.

When will I be able to make a claim?

From 8 March 2021 claims can be made up to 42 days after the first day of self-isolation.

Discretionary Scheme

A discretionary £500 lump sum payment may be available to an individual who meets the main qualifying criteria for the Test and Trace Support Payment and is not in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits, and:

  • Has savings of less than £3,000, and
  • Is on a low income (average gross weekly pay, prior to isolating), of less than £305.20 but more than £95.85, and
  • Will suffer financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while they are self-isolating (reduction in income due to self-isolation of more than 50% of the applicants’ gross pay).

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has committed to providing further discretionary funding on an ongoing monthly basis from March 2021 until the scheme ends on 30 June 2021.

Read further information about the discretionary scheme (opens in a new window).

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • A copy of your latest bank statement (which clearly shows your name, sort-code and account number of the account that you would like the payment to be made into);
  • Proof of self-employment, for example most recent years statement of finalised accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
  • Proof of your NHS Test and Trace Account ID if you have been asked to self-isolate. You will also need to engage with NHS Test and Trace by visiting your NHS account (if requested by them) to input your details such as your date of birth and post code;
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Parents or guardians will also need to provide either;
    • The child’s/young person’s NHS Test and Trace Account ID, or
    • Confirmation from the child or young person’s education or childcare setting that they have been asked to self-isolate, or
    • A screenshot of a young person’s NHS Covid 19 App notification telling them to self-isolate AND evidence that the young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan

We will carry out any checks necessary to ensure claims are genuine. Please only apply for this support payment if you are entitled to it.


If you believe that you may qualify you can apply online by clicking on the button below.

Apply for a Test and Trace Self-isolation Payment