Maggot prevention guide
In hot weather maggots can grow in your wheelie bin. There are many ways you can prevent maggots from growing.
Preventing maggots from growing
Here are some steps you can take to prevent maggots from growing:
- Double bag food waste such as meat and bones
- Tie bags of waste securely
- Double bag nappies
- Rinse polystyrene trays and food packaging
- Keep the bin lid shut
- Store your bin away from direct sunlight
- Hang insecticide strips inside your bin
- A more natural method is to use citronella or eucalyptus scented spray or oil.
If maggots have already grown in your bin there are also simple ways of getting rid of them.
Getting rid of maggots
If your bin already has maggots there are steps you can take to get rid of them. These include:
- Cleaning your bin after it has been emptied. You can do this yourself or there are many companies that will do this for a small charge.
- If your bin has waste in it then use a small amount of warm bleach solution over your waste
- If your bin is empty then boiling water and a good household bleach will clean your bin and discourage flies.