Housing Benefit Vision Statement
Mansfield District Council is committed to providing an effective, modern customer focused and secure Housing and Council Tax Benefit service.
The Council's Corporate Vision and Priorities
The Council's vision for the district is to:
- Create a positive image of Mansfield which supports people, businesses and investment in the area
- Improve confidence, pride and dignity so that everyone can enjoy a good quality of life in their neighbourhood
To achieve the Council's vision the Corporate Plan identifies the following 5 priorities:
- Revitalise Our District, Town Centres & Neighbourhoods
- Reduce Crime & Disorder
- Ensure Decent Homes for All
- Develop a High Quality, Clean, Green & Pleasant Environment
- Ensure Effective Leadership & Management
How can the Housing & Council Tax Benefits Service contribute to the priorities?
By paying the right benefit on time the service supports customers to secure their tenancies, enabling them to live in decent housing. This can have a positive impact upon customers, improving their quality of life and increasing their pride in their environment.
There is also the potential to assist in crime reduction as those with sufficient income are less likely to turn to crime and with additional income customers are also be able to spend more money within the town of Mansfield thereby assisting in the revitalisation of the district.
By ensuring that the service actively takes steps to reduce fraud and error the service demonstrates effective leadership and management.
Housing & Council Tax Benefits
"We will put our customers at the heart of our service. We will actively support all of our customers, striving to reduce hardship, promote choice and equality, giving our customers the respect and quality of service they deserve"
Our service is dedicated to the timely and accurate payment of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit and the reduction of fraud and error.
- We will prioritise the assessment of new claims to help our customers when needed most, securing homes and supporting those making the transition into work.
- We will effectively manage reported changes in circumstances to reduce overpayments and minimising the hardship that they can cause whilst managing the Council's level of outstanding debt.
- We will detect and investigate all suspected fraud; ensuring proven fraud is punished under the Council's prosecution policy
- We will reduce error within the system by ensuring that quality assurance and staff training systems are in place
- We will support and empower our staff to perform at their best by recognising their contribution and investing in them.
- We will work together with our customers and stakeholders to reach out to all who need our services and to continually improve and transform the services we provide whilst representing excellent value for money.