Over recent years, we have been striving to create a clean and pleasant environment for you. We are responsible for keeping the land and highways within the district free from litter and refuse as far as is practicable in accordance with the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Code of Practice for Litter & Refuse.
In order to meet this duty we have established Street Care Services, a dedicated department to deal with the problems of litter, fly tipping, fly posting, graffiti removal, street washing, abandoned vehicles and emergencies, i.e. road traffic accidents, drugs related litter etc.
In 2008/09, Mansfield District Council has dealt with over 1420 tonnes of litter picked up from within the Mansfield District, demonstrating the steps that need to be taken in order to solve the problem.
Fly tipping continues to have a detrimental effect upon the local environment, 208 tonnes of fly tipped material have so far been collected since April 2008. The Street Care department is committed to catching the people who commit this criminal act and to educate the public on how to deal with waste more effectively. The Street Care department is working closely with the MDC Community Safety team to catch and prosecute litter droppers and fly tippers and there have been a number of prosecutions to date.
Please click on the links below for more information on Street Care services.
- Helping to create a clean and pleasant environment
- There are many ways in which you can help us achieve our target of creating a clean and pleasant environment. You can take pride in your neighbourhood and local environment by agreeing to follow some simple steps.
- More about 'Helping to create a clean and pleasant environment'
- Our Targets
- The Street Care department is committed to providing the residents of Mansfield with a clean, green and pleasant environment.
- More about 'Our Targets'
- The G.R.I.M.E. Project
- The G.R.I.M.E Project (Greater Respect In Mansfield's Environment) was established to spread the word about the need to keep Mansfield's streets tidy. It was developed as an educational and marketing tool by the Street Care Department.
- More about 'The G.R.I.M.E. Project'
- Fly Tipping
- More about 'Fly Tipping'