We provide 180 litre green bins for collection of non-recyclable household waste. Some households may still have a 240 litre capacity green refuse bin. These have been phased out over a number of years and are no longer supplied.
Only materials that cannot be recycled can be put into your green bin. This includes:
- bagged animal or pet waste
- bagged disposable nappies and sanitary products
- cool ashes from fires
- polystyrene, food trays and packaging
- used kitchen roll and tissue, and
- bagged food waste.
Please do not put the following items in your green bin:
- Recyclable waste: paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, yoghurt pots, food tins, drinks cans and aerosol cans can all be put in your blue bin. Please see the blue bin page for a full list of what can go in.
- Garden waste: please sign up for a garden waste bin or compost it at home. You can recycle grass cuttings, plants, weeds, small branches/twigs, leaves and hedge trimmings in one of our brown bins.
- Paint: take unwanted paint and empty paint tins to your local tip.
- Builder's rubble/waste, including soil and concrete. This can be taken to the local tip.
Additional waste can be taken to the Household Waste and Recycling Centres (local tip) operated by Nottinghamshire County Council.
Your green bin will only be emptied if the lid of the bin is fully closed. Extra bags of waste will not be collected.
Overloaded bins will not be collected due to health and safety concerns - moving heavy bins could injure our collection team members. In addition, the lifting mechanism on our refuse vehicles will not lift any bin which exceeds the permitted weight.
Your bin should be put out by 6.30am on the day of collection.
It should be removed from the pavement no later than 12 noon the day after collection. It is an offence to leave your bin out past this time and enforcement action may be taken if your bin is not removed.
Your bin may be collected at any time on your scheduled collection day. Our crews start collections at 6.30am each day and your bin must be made available for collection by this time.
If you find your bin has not been emptied by 4pm on the scheduled day of collection, please let us know and we can then check the crew's report sheets to see if there were any problems. You can call our Contact Centre on 01623 463463 or email us at email@example.com
We will not return for a missed bin if:
- It was not out before 6.30am on your scheduled collection day.
- The crew have reported that the bin was not out.
- Your bin contains incorrect materials or is too heavy.
- The waste was compacted in the bin and would not empty (in these circumstances you should free the compacted waste so that it will empty on the next collection day).
Any incorrect materials or heavy items must be removed from your bin before your next scheduled collection or we will not be able to empty it.
Any missed bins must be reported within 48 hours of your collection day and after 4pm on the collection day itself (when the crews will have completed their rounds and provided their round sheets).
To help you avoid the growth of maggots in your bin we have put together some guidance.
The maggot prevention guide [5kb] tells you how to prevent maggots and how to get rid of them if they become a problem.
Smaller 120 litre green bins are available for customers who only have small amounts of general waste. If you would prefer to exchange your green bin for a smaller one please call our Contact Centre on 01623 463463 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have moved into a new build property and you have no bins, there is a one-off fee of £50 to buy the green and blue bins. To find out more please call our Contact Centre on 01623 463463 or email email@example.com.
Bins damaged beyond repair by the collection vehicle will be replaced free of charge. If your bin is damaged through misuse and cannot be repaired or is lost or stolen, you will have to pay for a replacement. The charge is currently £25. Once payment for a replacement bin has been received it will be delivered to you within 10 working days.
Please be aware that the current green refuse bins are 180 litre capacity which may be smaller than the bin that was lost, stolen or damaged.
Get news and information about our waste and recycling service sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our email alerts.
Page last updated: 24 February 2016