The people shown below are disregarded or ignored for Council Tax:
- Severely Mentally Impaired People
- People over 18 receiving Child Benefit
- Student Nurses
- Youth Trainees
- Certain school leavers
- Long term hospital patients
- People who live permanently in a nursing home
- Care Workers
- Residents of hostels
- Members of International HQ & Defence Organisations
- Members of Religious Communities who receive no income
- Members and dependents of visiting forces
- Non-British spouses of Students
Some of the people who are disregarded or 'ignored' will need to be receiving certain types of income, perhaps study for a number of hours per week, or have the details confirmed by their Doctor.
Rather than go into great detail on the various types of discount, we suggest that if you think you qualify for a discount, or you are acting for a friend or relative, then contact us at the Civic Centre for more information and an application form to claim discount.
When a discount is awarded, or if it has to be cancelled, you will receive a new Council Tax Bill.
If you receive a discount you will be asked from time to time to confirm by signing a form that your circumstances are the same as when you applied for the discount. If they are, the discount will carry on. It is important that you tell us if your discount entitlement has changed, if you need advice please contact us.
Back to Council Tax Discounts