Search site

Multiple occupancy homes

What is a licensable HMO (House in Multiple Occupation)?

How to apply for a HMO licence

What should I do if I think a property should be licensed but isn't?

Landlords of certain houses in multiple occupation must obtain a licence and to manage the premises within conditions specified on that licence. We carry out safety inspections and issues licences for homes of multiple occupancy.

What is a licensable HMO (House in Multiple Occupation)?

A landlord must have a licence for a privately-rented House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if it meets the following criteria:

  • three storeys or more (including usable basements or attics)
  • is occupied by five or more people
  • those people form two or more households, and
  • tenants share some amenities (i.e. kitchen, bathroom or laundry).

It is currently an offence to operate a licensable HMO without a licence - there are heavy penalties on conviction.


Please be aware that the scope of mandatory licensing for houses in multiple occupation is being extended. This will mean far more HMO's will fall into the mandatory licensing criteria.

The new regulations will apply where certain HMO's are occupied by five persons or more in two or more households regardless of the number of storeys. This includes any HMO which is a building or a converted flat where such householders lack or share basic amenities such as a toilet, bathroom or kitchen.

We would encourage all landlords and agents managing properties that meet the new criteria to apply for a license at the earliest opportunity. The changes come into force 1 October 2018 and after this date it will be an offence to operate a HMO that meets the above criteria without a licence.  

For more information please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01623 463212 or alternatively see DASH Guidance on Houses in Multiple Occupation - pdf icon A Landlords Guide [426kb]

How to apply for a HMO licence

Complete the HMO application form and return it to us with the fee of £634.60

Properties required to be licensed need to meet certain standards set out in Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation in England: A guide for landlords and managers.

What should I do if I think a property should be licensed but isn't?

You can check with us to see if it's already been licensed, or simply tell us the address and other information you think is useful.

We will treat the information in complete confidence.

Related pages

Contact us Contact us

Powered by GOSS iCM