Search site

Housing Benefit

Can I claim?

How to claim Housing Benefit

Further information

Housing Benefit can help towards the cost of your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of benefit you get depends on the level of your capital and income, together with your individual circumstances.

Can I claim?

To apply for Housing Benefit you must:

  • Normally live at the property you are applying for
  • Be liable to pay rent for the property
  • Either be entitled to:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (income related), or
    • have a low income.

How to claim Housing Benefit

If you claim Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance the Jobcentre Plus adviser will advise you about your claim during your interview. Jobcentre Plus will send the details, including those of your Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance to us. However, Jobcentre Plus will not give us details of the rent that you pay and so we will ask you to send these details to us. You will also be required to make a separate claim to us if you wish to claim Council Tax Reduction to get help with any Council Tax.

If you don't receive Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (income based), we will need to see proof of all your income and savings. The pdf icon claim form [1Mb] explains what you need to send us. If you don't have all the proof don't delay returning your form to us. You can send proof later.

If you are a private tenant you must supply proof of the rent that you are charged by your landlord. We prefer a tenancy agreement but will accept a letter signed and dated by both of you and your landlord. This must also state the address of the property, the amount of rent, the start date of the tenancy and the date you moved in. The letter should state any other terms that you have agreed; this will include the period of notice you have to give to end the tenancy and the notice which the landlord must give you.

If you are a council tenant you do not need to supply proof of the rent you are charged.




Page last updated: 27 June 2018

Contact us Contact us