Search site

Data protection

Data protection policy

Data protection frequently asked questions

The Data Protection Act 1998 is designed to cover the collecting, storing, processing and distribution of personal data. It gives rights to individuals about whom information is recorded. Mansfield District Council is responsible for ensuring that it complies with the terms of the Act.

Data protection policy

Our pdf icon data protection policy [117kb] sets out our commitment to protecting personal data and how we implement that commitment with regards to the collection and use of personal data.

Data protection frequently asked questions

What information does the Act cover?

The Act covers all information that we hold about individuals and is designed to ensure the information is protected, processed properly and not used for anything it should not be.

How does it protect personal data about me?

By setting rules and conditions, which all users of personal information must obey when obtaining and using information about you. The Act also provides you with certain rights.

What are my rights?

The Act provides you with statutory rights:

  • To ask the authority if it holds personal information about you.
  • To ask what it uses the information for.
  • To be given a copy of the information subject to a payment of £10.
  • To be given details about the purposes for which the authority uses the information and of other organisations or persons to whom it is disclosed.
  • To ask for incorrect data to be corrected.
  • To ask the authority not to use personal information about you for direct marketing, which is likely to cause damage or distress, or to make decisions about you based on the automatic processing of the data.
  • To compensate for damage or distress should these be caused by our failure to comply with certain requirements of the Act.

Why do we keep personal information?

So that we can provide you with the services you require, for example, collecting Council Tax, collecting rent, calculating housing benefit etc., waste collection, preventing crime and disorder and maintaining a record of the services provided. This is not an exhaustive list.

Do we need your consent to use information about you for any of these purposes?

We require your consent only if we are going to process data about you for purposes other than those we are required to provide by law, or where we intend using data required for one legal purpose for something else.

All application forms and requests for information explain why we require the information requested and whether or not we need your consent.

There are some instances when consent would not be required and these are listed as exemption in the Data Protection Act 1998.

How do I make a request for information?

You may make a request for information using the pdf icon request information form [341kb], email, or by writing to:

Data Protection
Ashfield and Mansfield Shared Legal Service
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
NG17 8DA.

Your request must have sufficient detail for us to be able to find the information you want and have a return address for us to reply to.

Do I have to pay to see my information?

Yes, there is a £10 charge. The information will not be provided until we have confirmed your identity and the fee has been paid.

What information will I receive?

We aim to provide you with all of the information that you request, subject to the application of any exemptions that prevent us from releasing the information.

How will I be given the information?

You will be given a copy to keep and check for accuracy. This will either be a printout from a computer or a photocopy of your manual records. Access to view records at the council offices can also be arranged if required.

What do I do if the data is incorrect?

You must write to us telling us what data is incorrect and asking for it to be corrected. We will tell you what we have done within 21 days of receiving your request. If we do not agree that the information is incorrect you can ask us to record your disagreement on your records. You can also appeal to the Information Commissioner or the courts if your information isn't changed.

What do I do if I think you have not given all of the information requested?

The first step you should take is to make a complaint via our complaints procedure.

If after following this procedure you are still not satisfied, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

How can I prevent you from using information about me for direct marketing or stop you from using information for a purpose which could cause me damage or distress?

You should write to us asking us not to process your information for certain reasons.

If you think that the use could cause you damage or distress you must also write to us giving your reasons for asking us to stop the processing.

Will you share my information?

We may use your personal information to assist in the delivery of our services. Your personal information may be disclosed to and/or requested from other organisations such as:

  • Department of Social Security
  • social services
  • GPs
  • police
  • probation services
  • solicitors
  • utility companies
  • other local authorities
  • registered social landlords
  • mortgage/loan companies
  • past/present employers
  • other departments within Mansfield District Council, and
  • other agency/organisations including your landlord or managing agent where appropriate.

We will share your personal information for reasons in connection with:

  • protecting public funds
  • preventing or detecting crime and disorder
  • data matching initiatives with the Audit Commission, and
  • other government led initiatives.

All personal information will be held securely and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

How do I make a claim for compensation?

Claims are made through the courts, which will only support these if you can show that we have not taken reasonable care to ensure we complied with the Act and that you have suffered damage as a result of our use of such data.

Do you provide help in understanding the information?

Yes. If you need help with any issue relating to the release of your information, we will provide someone to assist.